Repairs & Maintenance
A.Picken Electricians are both NICEIC Contractors and Part P registered Domestic Installers.
Our engineers are specialised solely in electrical work, and so are able to carry out any type of electrical repairs including:
- Internal Lighting circuits failures
- Recessed Lighting (including Low Voltage transformers and accessories such as fire bags)
- Faulty power circuits and sockets
- Faulty switches (pull, rotary, dimmer)
- Fuse boards failures (including replacement of faulty fuse boxes with new 17th Edition Compliant Consumer units)
- Central Heating and Hot water controls
- Electrical Heaters and Towel rails
- Electrical Storage Heaters
- Electrical Underfloor Heating
- Kitchen extraction fans
- Bathroom extraction fans
- In Line and Concealed extraction fans
- External and Garden lighting failures
- Garden and Pond pumps
- Security lighting
- Intercom (Audio and Video) entry systems
Replacing Fuse Boxes with Consumer Units
In previous generations of electrical installations the circuits were protected by fuses. When something went wrong with the circuit, the fuse would burn out thus protecting the circuit from damage.
Fuse boxes that have been in service more then 50 years require replacing, because the joints and connections deteriorate, which causes joints to overheat during work which may, in some cases cause a fire.
Therefore if you have a consumer unit which has been in service more then 50 years it needs to replaced immediately.
Old fuse boxes built from wooden parts and these consumer units are a particular fire hazard.
Today’s consumer units are much more convenient to use as fuse wires do not have to be replaced but instead of that a re-settable fuse, usually in the form of a flick switch are installed.
When a fault develops in the circuit the fuse will trip and be visible when you look at the consumer unit. The resetting is quite simple, by lifting the switch up.
Besides this functionality, July 2008 marked the introduction of compulsory RCD protection (anti electrocution devices) which will disconnect the electrical supply, should anyone get an electric shock.
The disconnection is made within up to 20 milliseconds and therefore, although the person receiving the electric shock will suffer an inconvenience, no potential danger to life is posed.
We carry out replacement fuse boxes with consumer units in domestic and commercial installations, as well as industrial.